10/10/2012

Not-so-abandoned factory (part 1), Satakunta, Finland


Visited by jonahi & skkye 12.2.2012. This is like a cautionary example what can happen if one is hungry for adventures and new findings and doesn't have patience to search for evidence that the target really is abandoned.

We had been taking photos of closed leather (?) factory next to this one so we just expected that also this building would be abandoned. It was a sunday afternoon and everywhere was very quiet. So we just went in (the door was open) and began to take photos. The major part of tools and other stuff were rusty and all the clocks had stopped. After pretty long time and dozens of photos I found a calendar which was opened on the right (february) page. In addition someone had also marked friday (two days ago) with a cross. It was a little freezing moment because we had our cameras full of photos of blueprints and stuff like that. The first thought of mine was that somebody could blame us for being industrial spies or something. However, I'm pretty sure this experience taught us nothing and we'll find us in the same situation again some day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how glad I am to have found this blog! I spent about two hours going through every single post. So much beauty in these abandoned places.

    It's very hard to find blogs like these that combine urban exploration with detailed, excellent photography. I will definitely be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's nice to hear that somebody likes our photographs, too. :) Some of the places really are so beautiful that it's almost hard to take bad photos there, hehe. Welcome back!

      Delete
    2. Before I ever looked at photographs of abandoned places/towns, I never really understood the appeal. Always seemed like if a place was abandoned, that everyone would have taken everything and then gone, but it really isn't that way. You have to wonder sometimes why they leave behind the things they do.

      How did you two get started in this? Just a mutual hobby you decided to start doing more of or is it something else? Feel free to ignore my question if you'd rather not answer. :)

      Delete
    3. Yep, at least for me, imagining the people and their lifes in these abandoned homes or even the workers in old factories is probably more than half of the charm of urban exploration. It's the most mysterious case when every thing is left behind to rotten with the house. The rest is the adrenaline, going into places that scary me a little and outdoing myself that way, and of course pure curiosity for the buildings and things inside. I also think this as documenting little pieces of human history.

      And how we started... Hmm, I guess skkye has been doing this all of her life, and I remember also that as a child I lived next to an abandoned country house and I loved to look inside from the windows and think why have they left their tea cups and everything there. Then we became friends with skkye and we just wanted to go into abandoned places together. For me it was first just to get into some adventures but I also became interested in the houses themselves and the belongings there. And in the summer a year ago we started doing this more systematically and we also heard that this hobby actually has a name, a forum and that many other people do this, too. And that's when I fell in love with urbex! :)

      Delete